Friday, June 6, 2008

Grilled Veggie Salad

I am home in San Diego this week and with the beautiful weather outside and lovely scenery I decided to post a recipe that is light and easy. This salad is quick to prepare and low in calories! I made it for my family last night and they were extremely impressed...which was exciting because if they knew how easy it was to prepare I don't think I would have gotten so much praise :) I will hopefully be inspired more by the amazing view from my house and post lots of recipes this week!

Next week I am going wine tasting in Napa Valley so I will let you know how that goes!! I am hoping to find some new yummy wines and if I find any good food and wine pairings I will let you all know!

Ingredient list
Serves 4

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
6 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
1 lb. asparagus, trimmed
2 medium-size portobello mushrooms, stems removed
1 large red onion, cut into 1/2-inch rings (about 2 cups)
6 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed and dried

Directions:
  • Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, parsley, basil and garlic in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss sauce with asparagus, mushrooms and onion in shallow baking dish. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
  • Coat grill or grill pan with oil or nonstick cooking spray. Preheat to medium-high heat.
  • Place spinach in large serving bowl; set aside.
  • Drain asparagus mixture, reserving marinade. Grill vegetables 6 to 8 minutes, turning occasionally, or until tender and lightly charred. Transfer to cutting board. Cool 2 minutes, and cut into bite-size pieces.
  • Add grilled vegetables to spinach. Transfer reserved marinade to small saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from heat. Pour over salad mixture. Toss salad with hot marinade, using tongs. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information:
Per Serving- Calories 285, Fat 15g, Carbs, 21g, Fiber 6g, Sugar 8g, Sodium 203mg, Protein 5g

No comments: