Sunday, June 22, 2008

Louisiana Greens and “Sausage”

I have been extremely busy lately! Trying to find a job has turned out to be more difficult than I originally thought. I am sorry I haven't updated as much as I should but I have lost track of time. With all the stress of trying to find a job and getting ready to move to New York I have decided to take another trip home to San Diego for a little more relaxation and rest.

Anyways back to the food, this recipe is different and tasty! I was a little hesitant when I first saw this recipe but after trying it I was pleasantly surprised. It has a ton of flavor without all the calories. I hope that you will all enjoy this southern cooking as much as we did this weekend!


Ingredients:
Serves 6

2 tsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium-sized onion, coarsely chopped
1 14-oz. bulk-style soy “sausage”
16 oz. mixed greens, such as mustard, collard, turnip and spinach
2 1/2 Tbs. red wine vinegar
1/3 cup white wine or vegetable stock
2 cups vegetarian “chicken” stock, boiling
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/2 Tbs. dried thyme

DIRECTIONS
  • Heat oil and crushed pepper over medium-high heat in a very large saucepan or stockpot for 1 minute. Add garlic and onions. Cook for 2 minutes, and add soy “sausage,” stirring and breaking apart with a large spoon.
  • Cook mixture for 7 minutes, stirring frequently until browned. Add greens, reduce heat to medium-low and cook mixture, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until greens cook down.
  • Add vinegar, wine, stock and tomato sauce. Reduce heat to low.
  • Cover, and cook for 15 minutes. Add thyme, and cook 5 minutes longer, or until greens are tender, stirring occasionally.
Nutritional Information:
Per Serving: Calories 155, Protein 13g, Total fat 2g, Carbs 20g, Sodium 392mg, Fiber 5g, Sugars 5g

No comments: