Thursday, July 17, 2008

Rustic Peach-Blueberry Tart

Life has recently become much more complicated. I have started to look for jobs in Boston and New York because the job market right now is not looking good. Also, I have started to try and pack but wow that is overwhelming. I have lived in the same apartment for 3 years and in that time I have accumulated a lot of stuff! My lease is up in my apartment September 1st so I have to make some major decisions before then. I think if I don't have a job in either city I will move out to New York because I will have someone to live with and I have wanted to live there for a long time.

Anyways, one way I relieve all the stress in my life is through cooking! With the recent heat and humidity in Boston I tried out this recipe and it was the perfect light summer dessert. It is easy to make and delicious to eat! My friends all couldn't get enough, especially when I put vanilla-bean ice cream on top! You have to try it for your next party!


Ingredient list:
Serves 8

Cornmeal Crust
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
6 oz. Neufchâtel cheese, diced (I found it in Whole Foods)
4 Tbs. (1/2 stick) butter, diced

Peach-Blueberry Filling
5 medium-size peaches, peeled, pitted and sliced (about 5 cups)
1 1/2 cups blueberries
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Ice cream or 2 cups sweetened whipped cream, optional

Directions:
  • To make Cornmeal Crust: Pulse flour, cornmeal, sugar and salt in food processor 2 or 3 times to combine. Add cheese and butter, and blend until dough resembles coarse meal. Add 3 Tbs. cold water, and pulse several times, or until dough comes together. Pat into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour, or overnight.
  • Preheat oven to 425F. To make Peach-Blueberry Filling: Toss peaches, blueberries, sugar, lemon juice, cornstarch and cinnamon in large bowl. Let stand 15 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved.
  • Place sheet of parchment paper on work surface, and sprinkle with flour. Roll dough into 12-inch round. Fold in edge 1/2 inch to create sides. Slide parchment and dough onto ungreased baking sheet or pizza pan.
  • Spoon fruit in center of crust with slotted spoon. Discard juices. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F, and bake 20 minutes more, or until crust is crisp and brown. Let cool 10 minutes. Slide tart from parchment onto serving plate. Serve warm or at room temperature, and top with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
Nutritional Information:
Per Serving: Calories 319, Protein 5g, Total fat 11g, Carbs 52g, Cholesterol 31mg, Sodium 123mg, Fiber 3g, Sugars 29g

1 comment:

DamnCuteBunny said...

This tart looks lovely! I'm going to give it a whirl as soon as the peaches really get yummy -- which is soon, I think!