Monday, July 14, 2008

Tofu with Tomato-Mushroom Sauce

This recipe was another great find from Yahoo. I tried it and I found it is best if you serve it over rice or tossed with some pasta. It didn't fill me up as much as I had liked but after I added another form of carbohydrate it became more filling. Also, if you are a huge fan of cheese, like me, feel free to add more cheese! I found adding some parmesan cheese compliments this dish well.

Make sure you use fresh mushrooms as well! It can make or break the dish! I just went to dinner the other night and had an amazing mushroom tortellini that I am going to see if I can recreate. I am a huge mushroom fan so if you know of any great recipes that use them let me know!


Ingredients:
Serves 4

14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
2 tablespoons prepared pesto
2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese


Directions:
  • Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Slice the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slabs. Coarsely crumble each slice into smaller, uneven pieces.
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add tofu and cook in a single layer, without stirring, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Then gently stir and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until all sides are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes more.
  • Add tomatoes and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are just cooked, 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in pesto and feta.

Nutritional Information:

Per Serving: Calories: 185 cal, Carbohydrates: 6 g, Dietary Fiber: 1 g, Fat: 13 g, Protein: 13 g, Sugars: 2 g

1 comment:

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

This sounds simple, but gorgeous! I too love mushrooms and cheese :)