Saturday, August 30, 2008

Spiced Garlic Mushrooms

Life has been crazy lately! I have been running all over the place trying to get my apartment in order. I moved in on Thursday and my room is complete, now we are in search of a nice couch to finish the living room.

Needless to say I haven't had much time to cook and am in a new kitchen so I wanted to start with something simple. These mushrooms are easy and delicious! They are the perfect side dish to anything (especially frozen dinners, which I have had to eat a lot of lately while unpacking). I have been loving Vegetarian Times lately because they have had nothing but great recipes.

I will try to update more often but I start my new job on Tuesday and am still getting used to my new kitchen so bare with me as I adjust to the New York lifestyle :)


Ingredients:

Serves 6

2 Tbs. olive oil
4 cloves garlic, sliced
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp. ground coriander
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano or 1/2 tsp. dried
1 cup dry white wine or water
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 1/4 lbs. small button mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

Directions:
  • In large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add garlic, bay leaf, coriander and oregano and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic starts to brown, about 5 minutes.
  • Stir in wine or water and bring to a boil.
  • Add mushrooms, parsley, salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and cook 10 minutes, shaking pan occasionally.
  • Remove pan from heat and using a slotted spoon, transfer mushrooms to a serving dish. Return skillet to heat and bring juices to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half, about 5 minutes.
  • Discard bay leaf and pour liquid over mushrooms, cover and set aside to cool. If not serving right away, refrigerate and bring to room temperature before serving.
Nutritional Information
Per serving:
Calories 96, Protein 2g, Total fat 5g, Carbs 6g, Sodium 6mg, Fiber 1g

1 comment:

Abby said...

I have to admit that I'm not crazy about mushrooms ... unless they're fried. (I am Southern, you know.) But I'm thinking I need to try different kinds to see if I only dislike certain kinds!