Serves 1 (4 sticks)
2 light mozzarella sticks (50-60 calories and 2.5g fat per stick)
1/4 cup Fiber One bran cereal (original)
2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute salt, pepper & Italian seasonings; to taste
Optional: low-fat marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a food processor or blender, grind Fiber One to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Place crumbs in a small plastic container with a lid. Season crumbs with as much salt, pepper and Italian seasonings as you like. Set aside.
- Cut cheese sticks in half, so that you have 4 sticks. Place sticks in a small bowl, and pour egg substitute over the top of the sticks. Swirl egg substitute around so that it thoroughly coats the sticks.
- One by one, transfer sticks to the container with the crumbs. Cover container, and give it a shake to coat the sticks in the crumbs. Carefully return sticks to the dish with the egg substitute, and coat them again.
- Next put sticks back in the crumbs container, cover, and shake once more to coat (try doing this two at a time the second time around). Place sticks on a baking dish sprayed lightly with nonstick spray.
- Spritz the tops of the sticks with a quick mist of the spray. Place dish in the oven, and bake for 10 minutes (or until the first sign of cheese oozing out). If desired, serve with warm marinara sauce. Best when eaten immediately, while cheese is hot and gooey!
Serving Size: 4 pieces
Calories: 155 Fat: 5.5g Sodium: 500mg Carbs: 13.5g Fiber: 7g Sugars: 0g Protein: 19g
Now you decide...those greasy fat-filled mozzarella sticks from your local pizza place or making these delicious lite cheese sticks that even have fiber in them!
Tell me what you think!