Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Guilt-Free Enchiladas!

OK here comes my love of Mexican food again! After I saw this recipe for guilt-free enchiladas I couldn't resist! My love of Hungry-Girl is coming out again but well she just has so many amazing ideas that I can't help myself!

I remember when I was young going out to eat at different Mexican restaurants almost once a week, and of course when I was young I didn't think twice about how many calories were in the food I was consuming. When I went home last time I sat down at a restaurant and looked around at all of the grease filled options and got worried. I felt that everything on the menu came with a side of grease and fat. After that experience I decided it was time to find low calorie versions of the food I grew up with and still love today. Don't get me wrong I will still indulge in a greasy plate of tacos every now and then but for those days I don't want all the calories I make these better for you alternatives!


Ingredients:

Serves 2
2 large corn tortillas (like Mission Super Size)
1 slice fat-free cheddar cheese, cut in half
2/3 cup enchilada sauce
1/3 cup fat-free refried beans
1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 tbsp. taco sauce
1/2 tsp. taco seasoning mix, dry
Optional toppings: fat-free sour cream, chopped scallions

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a pan sprayed with nonstick spray, cook onions over medium heat until they begin to brown (about 2 minutes).
  • In a small dish, combine the onions with the re-fried beans, taco sauce, and taco seasoning. Mix well. Spray a small baking dish with nonstick spray. Heat tortillas in the microwave until slightly warm(or for an even better taste heat them up on the stove-top to give them a little extra crunch). Lay the tortillas on a clean, dry surface, and then spread about 2 tbsp. of the enchilada sauce onto each one.
  • Place one half of the cheese slice on each tortilla. Then, evenly distribute the bean mixture into the center of each tortilla. Wrap the tortillas up tightly, and place them in the baking dish seam side down. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
  • Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes (until the enchiladas are hot). Remove dish from the oven, sprinkle shredded cheese over the enchiladas, and then return it to the oven for about 5 minutes (until the cheese is nice and melty).
  • Plate those babies and, if you like, top with some of the optional ingredients. Enjoy!
Serving Size:
1 enchilada (half of recipe)
Calories: 187 Fat: 2g Sodium: 976mg Carbs: 29g Fiber: 4g Sugars: 5g Protein: 12g
I was reminded yesterday that not everyone is a vegetarian so I decided I would begin offering ways to add some meat in to the recipes I provide for those of you who can't give up your love of animal products. For this recipe go ahead and add some shredded chicken or even a little carne asada (that was my favorite back in my meat eating days) to spice things up a bit, but remember that the meat will add extra calories so figure those in if you are watching your calorie intake!
Now go fire up your ovens and let me know what you think!!

1 comment:

Kimi said...

Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like that you post the nutritional info.