Monday, April 21, 2008

Pesto Portobellos Recipe

I love portobello mushrooms and wanted to try something fun this weekend. When I saw pesto and mushrooms in this recipe from Vegetarian Times I was sold!! I thought this was going to be difficult to prepare but I found it easier than expected which is always a plus. Everyone that tried this had nothing but good things to say about it! This can be made for dinner or appetizers so no matter where you are headed you are sure to be the hit of the night with this recipe.
Ingredients:
Serves 8 for dinner or 32 appetizers
8 large portobello caps, about 6 inches round
2 Tbs. olive oil
Salt to taste
2/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
2/3 cup prepared basil pesto
1 Tbs. grated lemon zest from 2 large lemons
1 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup finely chopped hazelnuts, optional
1/3 cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
Chopped parsley or mint for garnish

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 450F. Line two shallow roasting pans or baking sheets with aluminum foil.
  • Gently wipe mushroom caps with damp towel. Use paring knife to pry out any bits of stems; chop stems finely.
  • Lightly brush tops of caps with oil. Set caps, gill sides up, in prepared pans. Sprinkle lightly with salt.
  • Combine chopped stems, breadcrumbs, pesto, lemon zest, vinegar and hazelnuts, if using. Spoon about 2 rounded tablespoons of topping into each mushroom.
  • Roast mushrooms on top rack 5 minutes. Switch to bottom rack. Continue roasting until tender, 10 to 15 minutes total. Sprinkle grated cheese liberally on each mushroom, and garnish with parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional Information:
Per SERVING: Calories 230, Protein 6g, Total fat 17g, Carbs 11g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 500mg, Fiber 2g, Sugars 2g
What is your favorite appetizer to serve to your friends and family? When I am feeling lazy I love just putting out pretzels and cheese! Really, I think I can eat pretzels with anything, they are my miracle food :)

No comments: