I tried these yummy mini-taco's last night and was pleasantly surprised at how they came out! While they don't compare to the Mexican food I am used to from SD but this also isn't as greasy! What is your favorite type of Mexican food?
8 small (6-inch) yellow corn tortillas
One package of Morning Star Chik' N Strips
1/2 cup salsa
1/3 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
1/4 tsp. dry taco seasoning mix
Optional: red enchilada sauce, additional salsa, fat-free sour cream, for dipping
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.In a medium bowl, combine the defrosted "chicken" and salsa, and mix thoroughly. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove chicken mixture from the fridge, and drain any excess liquid. Add cheese and taco seasoning, and mix to combine. This is your filling. Set aside.
- Prepare a baking sheet by spraying with nonstick spray, and set it aside. Dampen two paper towels, and place tortillas between them. Microwave for about 1 minute, until tortillas are warm and pliable.
- Take one tortilla (keep the rest between the paper towels), spray both sides lightly with nonstick spray, and lay it flat on a clean dry surface. Spoon about 2 heaping tbsp. of filling onto the tortilla. Spread it evenly across the entire surface, and roll tortilla up tightly, so that you have a cigar-shaped tube. Secure with toothpicks and place seam-side down on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and filling.
- Bake for 14 - 16 minutes, until crispy. Allow taquitos to cool for 5 minutes. If you like, dunk in enchilada sauce, salsa, or sour cream!
Serving Size: 2 taquitos
Calories: 197, Fat: 2.5g, Sodium: 594mg, Carbs: 22.5g, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 2g, Protein: 20.5g