On a side note...my roommate tried to make crab rangoons last night and it was a scary encounter. When she was going to deep fry them she had a little water on her hands that dripped into the pan and holy moly...it was scary! The flame went almost all the way up to our ceiling. Luckily our smoke detector didn't go off because it was laying on our coffee table from an earlier smoke incident, but it was a great lesson in chemistry that we needed to be reminded of. My loyal readers remember, HOT oil and water don't mix well!
Now on to the food...
4 Tbs. light miso paste
2 8-oz. pkgs. tempeh, grated
3 Tbs. canola oil, divided
1/2 cup gluten flour or vital wheat gluten
2 Tbs. guar gum
1 portobello mushroom, stemmed and grated (about 3/4 cup)
1 small beet, grated (about 3/4 cup)
1 small onion, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1 small carrot, grated (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels
1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
1/2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1/3 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Dilute miso in 1/4 cup water in bowl. Stir in tempeh and 11/2 Tbs. oil. Stir in flour and guar gum.
- Mound tempeh mixture on prepared baking sheet. Cover with foil, and bake 20 minutes, or until heated through.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium heat. Add mushroom, beet, onion, carrot, corn, bell peppers and garlic. Sauté 10 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Pulse vegetables and tempeh mixture in food processor 6 or 7 times or until just blended (do not overblend).
- Shape tempeh mixture into 8 patties. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 4 hours, or overnight, to blend flavors.
- Preheat grill to medium. Brush burgers and grill rack with oil. Grill 8 to 10 minutes per side.
Calories 218, Protein 20g, Total fat 9g, Saturated fat 1.5g, Carbs 14g, Sodium 259mg, Fiber 6g, Sugars 3g