Thursday, April 9, 2009

Spinach-Tomato Pie

I was feeling really motivated last night and decided to try out something that at first sounded a little too difficult. I found the recipe for this pizza online yesterday and thought it looked amazing. I am obsessed with pizza of all forms but deep dish is my all time favorite. I am a huge crust girl so I guess it makes sense.

Well last night after I pulled it out of the oven I could hardly WAIT to try it! It smelled soooo good! Boy did it live up to my expectations! It tasted just like a deep dish pizza you would get from Chicago...only healthier. The fresh tomatoes and the spinach went very well together along with the awesome crust...I felt like I was in heaven :)

You must try this if you are a pizza lover like myself and let me know what you think!


Ingredients:
Serves 6
1 10-oz. can refrigerated pizza crust
1 10-oz. pkg. frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry
1/4 cup low-fat sour cream
2 Tbs. minced shallots
1 cup evaporated skim milk
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 ripe medium-sized tomatoes, thinly sliced
1/3 cup shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Coat 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray.
  • Shape dough into 4-inch circle; cover with kitchen towel; let stand 5 minutes. Roll into 11-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Fit into pie plate, and flute rim.
  • Mix spinach, sour cream and shallots in mixing bowl. In separate bowl, whisk together milk, salt, pepper, egg whites and egg. Stir 1/3 cup milk mixture into spinach mixture.
  • Spoon spinach mixture into bottom of prepared crust. Add layer of tomatoes, and top with cheese. Pour remaining milk mixture over cheese. Place pie plate on baking sheet.
  • Bake 45 minutes, or until set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional Information:
Per Serving: Calories 230, Protein 14g, Total fat 5g, Saturated fat 2g, Carbs 33g, Cholesterol 45mg, Sodium 590mg, Fiber 3g, Sugars 9g

No comments: